Thursday, September 11, 2014

9/11/2011 Remembered

September 911 remembered

Sitting in my office, the tv was on and in the background I hear.." The World Trade Center was hit". I looked up staring at the sights and sounds that quickly overwhelmed me. Watching at first in complete disbelief, then slowly and completely shocked in horror at what was unfolding. I recall yelling, what's happening to the people, as a plume of smoke was overtaking the city..spiraling out of control, covering the streets in a dark horrific moment.  

These thoughts came back to me today. The grief the victims, families, friends, and heroes must have felt and still feel today is beyond belief. How can an ideology so strong be so hurtful as to cause mass destruction? How can it still be happening today around the world? I have sincere empathy and compassion for others suffering , hurting, and grieving. We must be tolerant of others who are different, yet not tolerate people that hate through heinous crimes and acts of violence against others. 

I am taking a moment to reflect on the beauty that surrounds me, my family and friends that I love and miss. Appreciating what life has given me, with the awareness of the emotional and physical challenges  others face world wide. 

Remembering 911
~Nancy Shertok, MSW, LCSW