Monday, June 9, 2014

Life Transitions

I thought I'd write about life transitions and how bittersweet they can be. I have gone through quite a bit of changes throughout my life, so I know what a toll they can take on our bodies and souls. We all experience transitions in life from graduating college, moving, new jobs, giving birth, losing loved ones etc. Some give us lots of pleasure and others hurt deeply. How do we move forward? For most, it takes time to successfully adjust to new changes, some more quickly than others. But with time, it requires the ability to cope and meet these challenges in a healthy way. By this I mean, finding support, being genuine about what you are feeling to yourself and others, and reaching out for help when you need it. I recall after the birth of my daughter, that I was struggling emotionally with the changes. But I didn't know how to share the struggle without appearing "weak". I would quietly question what was happening, why I couldn't manage this new little bundle of joy? I thought I had all the answers and that I could do it alone. I was experiencing postpartum depression, but was too proud or scared to admit it. Therefore, I didn't get the help that I so needed.

Life happens and we don't always have the resources or wherewith-all to get through life's challenges on our own. Therapy’s is an excellent option. Caring, experienced professionals are out there to help. No strings attached, without the fear of being judged. I wish I had reached out to my physician or therapist, despite being a psychotherapist myself. We all need someone to talk to, to help us through difficult life transitions.