Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Am I Depressed?

Have you ever struggled with depression? I think we all have in some form or another. We usually put on a smile and carry on, but inside it hurts. And it can hurt deeply. Depression impacts us both physically and emotionally. It can effect our health or our performance at work, in relationships, or at home. We might be able to push it aside and move forward, but sometimes it takes a strong hold and immobilizes us. Most of our friends and family don't know how to help. Have you ever heard, "Just get over it, Come on, you're fine, or You are in such a bad mood!" Quick fixes for depression don't work. If you had chest pain, would people tell you to "just get over it?" Of course not.

As a psychotherapist who treats depression, I have a few suggestions.  First, realize that depression is a real health concern. Treatment is out there for you. Ask yourself, how long have I been feeling sad? Do I have difficulty sleeping? Either too much or too little? Do I wake feeling rested? Has my appetite changed? How is my ability to concentrate? How is my energy levels? Do I cry often? Do I isolate myself? Are my thoughts more negative? Feel more irritable or angry?

Here are some ways to cope and feel better. Take small steps. Think positive. Don't talk yourself out of doing something healthy. Take care of yourself. That may feel selfish, but its not! Try exercising. Increased exercise has a positive effect on our moods (even walking 20 minutes a day).  Make sure you get a good night's sleep. Avoid alcohol, it is actually a depressant. Surround yourself with people you trust. Eat wisely. Don't eat late at night. Plan activities that you enjoy. Allow yourself to rest, but in short intervals. Talk to your physician to make sure its not a symptom of another health concern. If you're still feeling sad or depressed then ask for professional help. Its not as bad as you think. Lots of people see a therapist. A psychotherapist can assess the level of your depression and find the right treatment for you. You really don't have to hurt, from depression. ~ Nancy